Lemon aspen and tonic sorbet
- Lemon aspen fruit fresh or frozen
- Lemon myrtle sugar syrup - light
- Tonic water
- Weigh the lemon aspen. Measure out one millilitre of sugar syrup for each gram of lemon aspen.
- For eg, for 500g of lemon aspen, use 500ml of sugar syrup.
- These quantities are rough - keep some syrup and lemon aspen aside so you can adjust the flavour for your preference.
- Add lemon aspen and sugar syrup together. Add one lemon myrtle leaf.
- Blend lemon aspen with sugar syrup until smooth.
- Add your preferred tonic water, at about half the quantity of syrup/lemon aspen. For eg, for 500ml of syrup, use 250ml of tonic water.
- Stir well.
- Taste for balance. You need to taste all the flavours - the aromatic sharpness of the lemon aspen, the sweetness of the sugar syrup, and the bitterness of the tonic.
- Note that you do need to make sorbets stronger than you would use plain; the intensity of the sweetness and bitterness is lost when it's churned and frozen.
- Place in ice-cream churn and churn as per instructions.
- Decant churned slush into ice-cube trays for easy use in drinks, or into a container.
- Use in small quantities on its own, or to accompany other sweets. Is superb with drinks such as gin and tonic.