- Hand whisk, or food processor with whisking attachment
- Piping bag with a smallish nozzle attachment. Play with different nozzles to get different looks.
- 4 free-range egg whites Duck egg whites are excellent for this, if you can get them.
- 2 tsp boiling water
- 150 g Lemonberry Sugar
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- Line trays with baking paper. Preheat oven to 150C.
- Separate egg whites and yolks and put in a mixing bowl.
- Add Lemonberry Sugar, boiling water, and vinegar.
- Beat all ingredients rapidly together until the peaks are quite firm and glossy. This can take at least 5 minutes.
- Scoop mixture into piping or ziploc bag.
- Snip corner off bag to make hole slightly less than 1cm in diameter, or select appropriate nozzle on your piping bag.
- Pipe shapes on to paper. For example, spirals, or straight lines, or blobs.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 mins initially.
- After 15 minutes, turn the tray around so everything bakes evenly.
- They need to be fully baked, but with little or no colour on the meringues.
- When cooked, turn off the oven but leave the meringues inside. Let the oven cool completely. This puts the final crisping on the meringues.
- If not serving within a few hours, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. They store very well as long as they don't get damp.